Newspaper Update

This weekend I was able to get through the end of 1951. The Pacific Mills strike that year finally came to an end after 10 weeks. I found a few articles describing some violence – mostly attacks on mill workers – that might be of interest. Toward the end, the Columbia Record posted an editorial asking for the end of the strike based on its negative effect upon the town. Without 2,300+ people spending money as they normally would, it is not difficult to imagine a dip in the local economy! A few days before the strike was finally resolved, Pacific Mills posted a full-page message in the paper.

After the strike, I got the sense that the Pacific company and community were trying to stay out of the news. One article mentions that Pacific’s low earnings. It was a poor year for Olympia’s sports teams, but I did clip an article that gives a sense of how vicious some inter-Columbia sports matches could be.

As usual, I clipped many articles about issues facing specific S.C. mills or mills in the southeast more generally. One I found particularly interesting discussed the trend of mill workers buying their housing from mills. Another mentions textile industry concerns about a drop in the production of mill machinery.

For now, I plan to stop doing newspaper research. Now that I’m gainfully employed (!) and live farther from downtown, it is more difficult to do it as often as I’d like. I plan to complete a learning module on newspaper research (online and microfilm) by 10/5. I’ve discussed uploading articles to Omeka with Celia, and I plan to start working on that in October. I hope to attend a meeting and see you all soon!

Hours: 4

Advertisements

IMLS Grant Results

Our IMLS grant was not funded. The reviewers’ comments are attached below. Although we got good reviews, it is clear we needed to make a bigger case concerning our research as well as the importance of business history. A list of funded projects is here.

IMLS Reviewers Comments.

Meeting Minutes, September 18 2012

In attendance:  Allison M, Caitlin M, Caroline V, Celia J

Possible other people to be involved

Evan K is interested in doing GIS for the project (Allison)

  • Can learn some new tasks for this
  • We will need to find and gather materials – we give them to him so he can figure out what he can create
  • Requested:  assemble all the files we know of in different ways
  • Would like to start with an aerial map of the mill (Kate Boyd at TCL)
  • Other: Sanburn map, current floorplan if possible, architectural drawings from the Smithsonian, collection of street-by-street pictures if it includes this area?
  • As many layers as we can get would be intersting (i.e. birdseye map from before the mill)  because we and Evan aren’t sure what can be done yet and things can always be taken away
  • Task:  volunteer to do a few hours of research to collect maps:  Sarah 
  • Allison thinks that Smithsonian may only have the architectural drawing of the Columbia mill, not Olympia — either try to schedule a DC trip this fall or Allison can do it this spring  post on Allison’s task list for now

Allison B also expressed interest in doing GIS work for us; is in GIS class right now but class she is in does not have a final project now (Allison M)

haven’t spoke in detail not sure if this is something that Allison and Evan would collaborate on or if there would be separate projects

  • possible separate project:  if only architectural drawing is Columbia mills, maybe someone could work on that  — question of what is our scope

Angi W (Allison)

  • wants to do oral histories for us
  • meeting with Allison Thursday
  • working on her thesis – (Sarah:  on adaptive reuse of buildings, incl. State Museum/Columbia mill)
  • first oral history person

Brian

  • we need to contact – if still interested in oral history, him and Angi would be the team

Meg S

  • not sure about this semester
  • maybe coming to meetings can be involvement?

Research update

  • TASK:  Sarah will update Omeka; let Allison know once some has been done so she can get image permissions (Allison will then make public)
  • Katharine K is interested in helping
  • Will update task spreadsheet (on  ELE Dropbox/Admin)
  • (Caitlin)  Caroliniana may be a good research topic for someone TASK:  ALLISON
  • trying to figure out a good way to have good background research
  • Nice to know what was specifically looked at
  • Going to try to use Omeka as a database of all our research (need to have some way to keep track of research hat has been done)
  • Jennifer won’t be able to continue working on newspapers like she was now that she’s employed – going to ask her to put newspaper research on Omeka and write a learning module that we would then test when putting other research in.

Digital update (Caroline)

  • worked on text of the frontpage.  Text needs work; should be short.
  • Other pages have some text explaining what is or will be there
  • Put up current learning modules
  • TASK:  Celia update LM text updates about what they are, what the testing process is, etc.  Let know by Friday any changes may be made (HTML, comments)
  • First two need to be editted more; Blog and American Enterprise have stronger language and will need less editing.
  • TASK:  Allison be in charge of getting American Enterprise to Peter
  • TASKS assigned for text editing
  • Can we get rid of the User Login?  Going to check at the workshop
  • Contact Us at the bottom of every page
  • save files to ELE’s Dropbox: Digital/Text for Webpage

NCPH

  • yay, we’re accepted!
  • email was confusing, but assume working group will work the way they have in the past:  NCPH will post and people will apply to us to be a part of it
  • There are a lot of ways to structure; need to decide as a team how to do it
  • Another meeting with Anjuli and Claire next week – before meeting
  • TASK:  Celia – contact A and C about a meeting next week
  • Funding questions about NCPH – department usually helps out

 

Next meeting:  Tuesday October 2, 1pm in Hollingsworth

 

Meeting Minutes, 7 September 2012

Allison Marsh, Caroline Vereen, Caitlin Mans, and Sarah Scripps met in Gambrell 248A at 3:30pm.

Caroline showed the team the new ELE website. Allison provided Caroline with a list of recommendations for editing the site, including adding links to the top of the page for exhibits and learning modules, drafting additional text on the main page, and increasing the font size of the ELE tagline. Allison and Caroline plan on attending the Droople seminar later this month.

Sarah provided an overview of potential research roles for team members, including oral history, objects, images, maps, archival records, and newspapers. Caitlin agreed to review The State and Columbia Record as well as Library of Congress digitized newspapers. Sarah will begin researching objects at The State Museum and ask Katharine to begin researching materials at other institutions.

Allison asked the team to consider possible additional members, including Brian, Meg, Laura F., and Jen. Allison will also speak to the oral history class about ELE.

Sarah and Caroline tentatively agreed to host a table at the Digital Humanities Open House on Tuesday, September 18. Allison will email the DHC to reserve a table.

The team agreed to switch meeting times to Tuesday mornings at 10am and try to limit meetings to 45 minutes. The next meeting is set for Tuesday, September 18 at 10am in Hollings Library.

Total team hours: 4

ELE Website

Hello all,

I met with Zach White, Web Developer for USC’s Computing Center, who helped me with the website. I think it’s pretty well up and running now. Let me know what you guys think about the look, the text, the menu bar, etc and maybe we can discuss changes tomorrow at the meeting. You can find the website at http://src6.cas.sc.edu/ele/ .

See everyone tomorrow!

Caroline

(Total Time: 3 hours)

Meeting Minutes – 9/4/2012

In preparation for our informatonal/first official meeting of the semester, Allison, Sarah, Caitlin, and Celia met to discuss what we had done over the summer and plan for the coming meeting/year.

Caitlin

  • This summer at the Smithsonian, she worked on the Biograpy section of American Enterprise (AE) and finding material culture related to the exhibit
    • Whaley will not be included in the Biography section
    • For AE, the cotton story is now predominantly in “The Business of Slavery” and some in a global section
      • We think this doesn’t change anything for us – highlights that online a separate but complementary project
  • Gave us some information about AE generally, i.e. there has been change in the themes, possibly name, etc,

Sarah

  • Plan for implementing research
  • i.e. Oral History
    • Have a tutorial
    • Put together packet/binder to take with when conducting oral histories
      • Consent forms (Sarah has templates)
      • Image consent forms
      • Loan forms
  • Image Scanning
    • Similar to oral histories
  • Research for primary/secondary sources
    • Spreadsheet to-do list of sources we can start looking at
      • Assign people to different sources
  • Have a secondary sources form for people to fill out
    • Key words
    • 150 word abstracteople don’t look
    • Key ideas relating to exhibit
    • So people don’t keep looking at the same things
  • Primary sources
    • Good model with newspapers, keep going
    • Have a lead on the different types of research so there is ownership of part
    • Allison’s input
      • The REALLY good stuff  – we should caputre and put on Omeka immediately
        • External  hard drive is high-res,  permanent backup
        • Omeka – low-res, so people see what we have up
      • NEED Permissions
        • Allison is the gatekeeper – She is the person who makes it public and is the holder of all signed permission forms
        • Can easily hit the ground running on things where not dealing ewith people, but need to be careful when dealing with people re: permissions

Celia

  • Wants to set up a task management system to organize what needs to be done/who is doing what – the blog is hard to sift through.
  • Also a good place to log hours
  • During meeting we started a system using Excel.  This is located in the Admin section of Dropbox.
  • Set up with 4 spreadsheets (Admin, Research, Education, and Hours).  People can go here to see what they are assigned and log the status of different projects.
  • Hours should be logged weekly.

 

We also talked about equipment for oral histories and image processing, contacting people re orali histories, and next semester’s oranizational strategy considering Allison will be on sabattical.  These will be ongoing conversations.

We planned to have our informational meeting this Friday, 9/7, and a followup meeting the next week 9/14 so that by the end of the second meeting we can tasks assigned to new and old people.